Bonfire night is here, the fireworks & candy floss, fairground rides & sparklers, what’ not to love. Family fun for everyone.

Fireworks and sparklers come with certain risks.  We want you to have the best time but please be safe.

Here are 5 ways to keep your child safe on Bonfire Night:

  • Please do not allow a child under 5 years old to hold their own sparkler, they are too young to understand why they might be dangerous.
Fact: Three sparklers burning at the same time generate the same heat as a blow torch.
Fact: A sparkler can reach temperatures of 2000°C.
  • Children who are 5 years and older will need you to supervise them while they use sparklers.
  • Keep an eye on children, they can get very excited around Bonfire Night but remember just to keep an eye on them. It’s good for them to understand not to play with fire.
  • It helps if your kids are wearing suitable clothing. Don’t dress them in loose clothing and always ensure children wear gloves. If they are wearing a scarf make sure it is always tucked away. The smallest ember could start a fire so make sure your children stay away from all open flames.
  • Ensure your child knows never to go near a firework that has been lit, even if it hasn’t exploded. It could go off at any time.  When sparklers go out, do not touch them, plunge them into a bucket of water and leave till the following day. That way you know they are properly cooled down.

Have the best bonfire night & stay safe.